Earlier this year I attempted drying hydrangeas but didn’t have the correct ingredients. Some of the flowers dried, other were kind of wimpy. So I decided to try it again with the right stuff.
I followed the instructions that I found on pinterest for drying hydrangeas.
I picked several hydrangeas from my garden. They aren’t quite as bright in the fall as in the summer but still very pretty.
I found glycerin in the pharmaceutical section at Walmart. The bottle was 6 oz. so I added it to 12 oz. of hot tap water.
I pulled most of the leaves off of the hydrangea stems and then used my rubber mallet to smash the ends.
Stuck them into a vase and put them in my family room to enjoy while they dried.
After five days I pulled the dried stems out. The two pink hydrangeas didn’t make it but the other three larger flowers looked good and the petals were soft. I put the glycerin mixture into a old container (marked it) and stored it in my garage for now–the instructions say I can reuse it. Then I put the dried hydrangaes back into the vase.
Now I’m waiting another week to see if they actually dried or just didn’t die as quickly as the pink ones! I’ll keep you posted!