I completed a couple more projects in the music room–updated a floor lamp so I have lighting while practicing the piano or banjo and made a dog bed for Maggie.
Both of these projects were easy peasy. The same semi-gloss black spray paint that I used for the chandeliers renewed the old brown floor lamp.
I also spray painted the off-white lamp shade with white in satin and added washi tape that I bought from Pick Your Plum. (If you aren’t familiar with Pick Your Plum, you should check it out. Michelle told me about their daily email and I’ve ordered several inexpensive items from them since.)
As I mentioned last week, Maggie needs a bed in every room. But she’s not picky. If you leave a towel on the floor, she’s happy with that.
And this was the simplest cheapest bed ever!
I picked up a 1/2 yard remnant at Jo-anne’s of a fleece fabric that I thought Maggie would like. Remnants were on sale when I was there for 50% off their already low price. Cost, $2.03. Fleece is not only Maggie’s favorite blanket material, it doesn’t unravel.
I also had one last piece of 1″ thick foam in storage. 27″ x 14″. Perfect for that small remnant.
I made a little pillow case for the foam with muslin which was totally unnecessary. It just makes it easier to slip the foam out of the fleece slip cover and provides a little more protection from dog drool. Not that Maggie drools.
The fleece was 60″ wide and I had about 18″ of length which I cut down to 17″. (Foam is 14″ + 2″ for thickness of foam + 1″ for seams). Turned under the short ends 1/2″. Fleece doesn’t fray so I really didn’t even need to do that. I mostly did it because you could see the words on the selvedge. (Oh yeah, you are never supposed to use the selvedge which is the very edge of the fabric but this is a dog bed) I then placed the center of the foam onto the center of the fabric.
Folded up each side and then marked with a pin.
Took the foam out and folded over to where I had pinned. Sewed up the top and bottom. Turned right side out. Envelope style pillow case! So Simple!
Here’s the actual envelope-style slipcover.
One last change for the music room is an art project. That might happen next week. Or I might move onto my office where everything from the former dining room was dumped. That room desperately needs some organizing and prettying up right about now!
The music room renovation was incredibly cheap. A bunch of the stuff I already had. And I used a lot of spray paint. The stencil from Martha Stewart was probably the most expensive item I bought and I’ll be using that in future projects.
Next week–more fun projects!